Prince, Minnie, Beau & Sonny

January 24th 2017 -- Present

Dog Meat Trade--South Korea







 Sonny-- ADOPTED 2/2017

Sonny-- ADOPTED 2/2017

We took in four doggies that were rescued from, an amazing small rescue run by Nami Kim and her volunteer Jenny.

We were aware of the dog meat trade in Asia but there are so many more details we have only come to learn about recently. For example, puppy mills are as horrific as they are here in the states, the only difference is when the breeder dogs are no longer useful they are then sold to the dog meat farms. We don't want to upset anyone here with the cruel details of what their death is like once they arrive at the dog meat farms (you can google it, but only if you are feeling really brave).

It is important to mention that people like Nami and Jenny who are dedicating their life to trying to save dogs from the dog meat trade, are also working hard to lobby to get the laws changed. The idea of dog meat as a delicacy is something that is popular with mostly an older male generation. Like anything that requires a progressive approach, it's younger people that are brave enough to go up against a very old culture and try to change minds with compassion towards animals.

We were introduced to by Elaine F., also a Camp Cocker supporter. Elaine lives in Illinois and heard that Nami & Jenny were looking for a rescue to take two cocker spaniels. It was with Elaine's help that the transport was co-ordinated. Once we saw the other dogs they were looking for rescue groups for, we said "send us a couple more small doggies to make the flight worthwhile".

Well lucky us, we ended up with two super nice and gorgeous poodles!

 Prince after 17 hour flight

Prince after 17 hour flight

 Safe Landing at LAX

Safe Landing at LAX

We had never gone through the process before of receiving international dogs at the airport and what a long day it was. Thank you to Winnie from the Maltese Rescue for helping walk us through all of the steps. The plane landed at 8:38am, and we had to wait at the cargo building until 12:30pm. (the CDC was there with a veterinarian doing vet checks of other dogs on the same flight, it turns out there were micro bred preemie looking puppies there that were far too young to travel, and the breeder that shipped them to the states, broke laws by shipping them out so prematurely young)

Then once cargo said our four dogs passed the vet check, we had to drive to another building where customs is, then take a number and wait for our turn to be interviewed. This is just so customs knows what our intention is in bringing in four dogs from South Korea. Then once customs stamped the approval, we drove back to the cargo building and waited for the dogs to be brought out to us. This video clip begins the first moments we met the four doggies and it must have been around 2:45pm. Those poor doggies! They had to be checked in three hours in advance of their departure in South Korea, then the flight was a little more than ten hours, then sitting at the airport another six hours. Nineteen hours in the crates, can you imagine?

But then we considered what the alternative was for them and we realized, one long awful day of being in a crate and traveling so far, in exchange for the chance for a new life, it put it all in perspective for us.

The really emotional part was when we took them out of their crates and let them go potty, fed them, gave them water, and then they began to wag their tails and some were even giving out kisses right away. We simply weren't expecting the dogs to be so trusting of humans. We hit the jack pot with four really nice doggies.

The cost of their flight, vetting, grooming and food is going to be costly and we are not taking from the general Camp Cocker funds, due to the nature of this rescue. If you would like to donate towards these 4 dogs only, please do so by clicking the donate button below. We only ask for small donations, perhaps if everyone who reads their story donates $5 we can pay off their medical debt quickly and save more dogs sooner!


Prince - Adopted

What we know about Prince so far:

  • He is around 2-3 years old (he has a LOT of puppy-ness!)
  • He received his dental cleaning.
  • Very loving, sweet, playful.
  • Needs a lot of exercise and training.
  • SO GENTLE when taking treats!
  • The PERFECT dog!

Prince needs a foster home so we can get to know his personality a bit more and get started on housetraining! If you want more information on becoming a temporary foster click below:

March 15th 2017

 Resting in the cool shade after a walk.

Resting in the cool shade after a walk.

  'Rub my Belly Please?"

'Rub my Belly Please?"

Minnie-  Available NOW!

Our Little Girl with the Big Heart!

What we know about Minnie so far:

  • She is around 5-6 years old
  • She is a very petite toy poodle.
  • Good on a leash
  • HYPER - She has come out of her shell and acts like a puppy!
  • She is so happy she BOUNCES when she walks! :)
  • Loves Kids!

Update -- Minnie Got Groomed!

Please read our adoption process before submitting your application. Serious adopters only, please.

Beau - Rainbow Bridge- 3/4/2017

It is with heavy hearts that we have some sad news about wigglebutt Beau.

Beau made the long trip over to California from South Korea, with Prince, Sonny and Minnie. He was being treated for a bad ear infection in his right ear by our vet in North Hollywood. Beau got lucky with a foster home offer shortly after arriving to Camp Cocker Rescue. He got to enjoy the comforts of being with Sophia and Andres in their nice home, while he awaited adoption.

It was their description of what an amazing dog Beau was, that attracted adoption interest from Tania, an approved adopter from our rescue partner at Angels Under Our Wings Cocker Spaniel Rescue. Next thing you know, we booked Beau his flight and headed to Dr. Wilson's at The Animal Doctor of Ventura to get his ear infection rechecked and to get his health certificate.

Beau's foster parents mentioned that Beau would yelp when he had a toy in his mouth, so we told Dr. Wilson about this. When she looked down in his right ear, she could see it was still oozing with infection, but she could see the ear drum was intact. When she opened his mouth to look inside for any mouth or jaw problem, he yelped and she knew there was pain going on. Dr. Wilson had a hunch there was something going on behind the ear drum, in what is known as the middle ear. She said a CT Scan was the only way to really know for sure what was back there.

So that was when we asked for donations for Beau, and so very many of you came through and helped to donate so he could get this very expensive diagnostic testing. The results of the CT Scan were a shock to us all, Beau had a huge tumor that had grown more than three inches in length and had already reached his cervix (the neck, where the spinal cord and brain connect).

His prospects were suddenly that he was now a hospice dog, although besides yelping when he would bump his right side of his ear, or when he was using his jaw, you would never know.

Beau's foster parents were out of town (out of the country, and not reachable) and it had been our hope that upon their return, that they would be willing to continue fostering Beau as a hospice dog. While they were gone, we didn't have another foster home for Beau (we always have dogs waiting for foster homes, there are never enough foster homes ever). So Beau was staying at Dr. Wilson's hospital, and their staff was taking good care of Beau, he got walks, and attention and he was comfortable. His appetite was super good and he was wagging his tail. Dr. Wilson had started Beau on a good pain management plan and he was also on anti-biotics for the infection he still had in the outer right ear.

On Friday morning, when the staff arrived at the hospital, they found Beau's cage covered in blood and bile. He was dazed and still alive. When the vet tech reached in to pick Beau up, he began seizing and it was a really scary long seizure. He came out of the seizure and was still breathing. Beau had little red dots inside of his mouth that indicated internal bleeding was going on. The vet called me (Cathy Stanley, Camp Cocker founder) immediately to tell me what had just happened. I asked them to please not wait for me to get there, I didn't want Beau to go out in pain and his body seizing. The vet tech held him and pet him while they gave him the sedation, then euthanasia drug. It was fast and he was out of pain quickly.

The vet thinks that based on the tumor having reached the cervix, that it is likely the tumor had reached his brain and then burst, which explains the internal bleeding and the seizing.

Dr. Wilson's staff was really thoughtful and they knew I was on my way to go and say good-bye to him posthumously, so they wrapped him up in blankets and kept his body warm on heating pads. No vet office has ever done that for one of our dogs before (and this was not the first time a dog died before someone from Camp Cocker could get there to say good bye). So I was able to pet Beau and kiss him on the top of his face and his head and pet him and tell him that SO many people have loved him, so very very many people, that he had no idea. I told him he was a good good boy and that he was loved, that Sophia and Andres loved him, that Tania the lady that was set to adopt him, loved him. That Jenny, his rescuer loved him.

I promised him that Camp Cocker would save another dog in his honor, which prompted the trip to the South Los Angeles animal shelter yesterday. I also promised him I would save two more dogs from South Korea in his honor (and that is in the works for sometime in late March).

This was so unexpected, first finding out that he had such an enormous tumor, but then losing him so suddenly and quickly after the diagnosis. We had hoped he could have another few months of hospice care.

It wasn't until I had personally spoken to Beau's rescuer in South Korea, his foster home (they only returned from out of the country late last night) and his future adopter, that I was then ready to let all of his fans and supporters know.

I'm hoping that all of the dogs we've lost before Beau, are right now helping him to make new friends over the Rainbow Bridge and that there is lots of food and treats there for him because he was a total foody, and that his tail is a wiggy wagging and he is running around and free.

We loved you Beau, and we were only just getting started.

Rest in peace little wigglebutt
Rest in peace



What Made Beau The Best Dog Ever:

  • Approx 5 years old.
  • Very attentive, very playful
  • Great demeanor, very sweet.
  • Great on a leash!
  • Good with children who have "doggy manners"
  • Great in the car: lays down or looks out the window.
  • House=broken, doesn't mark.
  • Sleeps through the night
  • Pretty quiet, doesn't bark much.
  • Does not jump on the couch.
 Dreaming about Belly rubs....

Dreaming about Belly rubs....


Sonny-- ADOPTED 2/2017

Sonny has been Adopted. No more Applications will be reviewed

We are on the look-out for foster homes who can provide a safe home environment for these dogs as we find forever homes for them. If you think you would like to be part of their journey please apply to be a foster!

Click below to read more information on fostering:

This page will be updated weekly to reflect the dogs personalities, and health as well as new photos and videos as we learn new information about them.

You can follow us on Facebook here:

and Watch live video of all our availabe dogs on Periscope here:

Please stay tuned for more info as it comes in!


-Camp Cocker Rescue